Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Wonder Woman

I am currently in the midst of exploring the world wide web in search of anything related to body image and how it is currently being represented in the super hero genre of comics. Through this random exploration I found this quote by William Marston, the original creator of Wonder Woman, in regards to why WW began:

"America's woman of tomorrow should be made the hero of a new type of comic strip. By this, I mean a character with all the allure of an attractive woman, but with the strength also of a powerful man. There isn't enough love in the male organism to run this planet peacefully. What women presently lack is the dominance or self-assertive power to put over and enforce her love diaries. I have given Wonder Woman this dominant force, but kept her loving. It is my hope to make this strip as appealing to adults as it has proved to kids.”

Wonder Woman was originally released to world in All-Star Comics #8, issued in 1941.

I suppose that might explain why Marston had that view about woman, but it still makes me want to slap him with my own gold wrist bands.

All I can say is what the fuck

No comments:

Post a Comment